Saturday, February 26, 2011

JFGI, People!

I staff a virtual librarian desk, which means that the people who are asking me questions are people on a computer with Internet access. The vast majority of the not-library-specific questions I get are questions that are quickly and easily answered with a trip to your best friend and mine, The Google.

I wonder every time I am logged on to virtual reference why these people, who are skilled enough to find a link to or navigate to our virtual reference chat site, are not s-m-r-t enough to GO TO THE GOOGLE and search for the answer there first.

Really want to send them to this site. Really. All the time.

1 comment:

Paul W said...

Sometimes Google really isn't the best place to look.

It lists places by traffic as much as keyword, right? So the top listings may not contain the exact thing people need.

Also, not everyone knows keyword selection. Librarians do have our little secrets. :-)