Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Review: Shadows of Night

Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy, #2)Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The highly-anticipated sequel to A Discovery of Witches, this July release sees Diana Bishop, scholar and witch, and her vampire paramour Matthew Clairmont travel through time to solve the mystery of Ashmole 782, the manuscript that brought them together and brought them to the attention of other supernatural beings that may not have their best interests at heart.

Diana and Matthew find themselves immersed in Elizabethan England, tracking down clues to the location and nature of Ashmole 782 while frantically trying to find someone to educate Diana in her newly-freed and acknowledged magic. They encounter Matthew’s friends from the era, the mysterious School of Night, that includes such famous historical figures as Christopher Marlowe and Sir Walter Raleigh.

Why I picked it up: I scored an Advance Readers copy through NetGalley, which thrilled me to no end, since the cliffhanger ending of A Discovery of Witches left me wanting to know what happened.

Why I finished it: I enjoy supernatural fiction, and this has enough historical detail and character development that it escapes being lumped in with paranormal romances in general.

I’d recommend it to: Paranormal romance fans and fans of historical fiction who aren’t put off by paranormal or supernatural subject matter.


View all my reviews

No comments: