Friday, September 19, 2008

Parents Without a Clue

I wonder when, if ever, it's appropriate to go up to either of the parents on laptops in the corner, who have been at the library for 4 hours, and tell them that perhaps their 2 preschool children may be interested in having lunch at some point today.

These are the same parents who were shoulder-deep in their laptops while their 2 kids wandered about aimlessly and systematically removed half the picture books from the bins, leaving them scattered about for library staff to clean up later.

Makes. Me. Angry.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle! Love your blog! I found it through your profile on MSW, where I'm a member.

I'd like to invite you to be a member of another board with the same common interest -- it's a smaller, more personal board, with a lot of smart, worldly people who have a wry view of life. We'd love to have you join us. I think you'd fit in very well!

My MSW ID is "gazorpa", so you can search through my posts if you like. I'm writing this comment through my son's gmail account; if you'd like to reply to this, you can reach me through my email, which is mclarke@comcast.net.

Sorry for this odd way of contacting you, but MSW no longer allows member-to-member messaging.

Hope to hear from you --

Maureen

Paul W said...

Michelle, hey.
Best of luck with the clueless parents. Ah, one of the things I *won't* miss anymore. ;)
Happy holidays to everyone in Pasco Libraries.

jjalajandra said...

I was once a children's librarian. Please be patient with the children. At least, they aren't "rippin' and rompin'". Perhaps, it would help if you put a basket or something and ask them if they would put the books they look at in it. They are, hopefully, tomorrow's readers. Welcome them warmly. As for the clueless parents, a baseball should fill the need nicely.